Views:
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, January 7, 2012

New York: Skylines and Turnstiles

I'm going going, back back, to NY NY. This March I'm going back for a week. I'll also be doing an E-session and a wedding. Yay! For now I'm just gonna save up for another grand adventure. I plan to hit up Florida this year too. But I plan to return to NY often just to get lost in the city. You can call it my sabbatical. I'll book more models, eat more outrageous food, and evolve. Here is a list of my top 20 events from my previous NY journey with the family:

20. Walking
Walking around the city is the best thing. The sights and sounds make everything interesting. Taking a photojournalistic approach to things is a great way to train your eye. Getting lost and returning brings forth dramatic effect and a sense of overbearing strength. Similar to how the star player returns to the game in the last quarter to win the championship. If anything...the star player was walking outside thinking how to make the approach awesome.

19. 5 PTZ
A remarkable showcase of talent and expression. Even though I got yelled out for taking pictures. It was worth it. Lots of asian women were here, but they didn't get in trouble. This place would be swell for a shoot.

18. B & H
The Photo/Video Capital of the world. I spent a lot of time on their online store, so it was nice doing this. Great service and cool conveyor belt style deliveries. I bought a softbox kit here. Didn't really need, but I just wanted a bag to be honest. Should have bought a reflector because I always lose mine in battle.


17. KATZ's
I'm a sucker for Corned Beef. The Corned Beef x Pastrami sandwich lives up to the hype. Also wearing sunglasses indoor is fully acceptable. It'll make you look more like a gentleman of high stature or a blind man who loves to eat.

16. Times Square. GMA
It's interesting going early to see the city wake up. I got on good morning America before heading back to the room to find everybody still asleep. More Tim Horton's and Dunkin Donuts. Cute AF

15. Hanging with Mr. Taha
Met up with Chris. He's living the American dream and working hard. Had some awesome Watermelon Soju in Koreatown

14. Uniqlo
I'm not usually a clothes guy. I can care less about fashion now, but Uniqlo has caught my eye. I spent a good amount of money here for some awesome clothes.

13. Nathan's Coney Island
What was unique about this was eating on the boardwalk during a storm. It was worth it finally get to try the dogs done right. I wanted to ride the Cyclone, but that's a story for another time.

12. Lafayette Bike Scene
They closed down the street for some carnival. Cyclists alike rode free on the streets. Good stuff. Stocked up on nutrition bars. It was supposed to be promoting a healthy lifestyle, but I took down 5 odwalla bars. No shame.

11. Jamaal, The Improv King
Going to Jamaal's improv shows were awesome. Comedy in it's purest form. Vigilante Style.

10. Brooklyn Bridging
A fun walk with lot's of interesting historical slabs on the way. Makes you strong just reading them. I also had to pee really bad this day because of all the Tim Horton's blueberry coffee


9. Korean BBQ, Funk Seoul Brother.
I liked watching those crustaceans boil in a broth then tasting the delicious power afterwards. Also our waitress was maaaaaad cute.

8. Top of the Rock
Pretty cute location. I wish I could've had a shoot with Katrina here. Oh well. 

7. Gray's Papaya
What's better than having an old filipino man serve you a hot dog? Serving those hot dogs with Papaya juice! I wish I took a couple for the road. It's one of those midnight meals that never get old.

6. Chinese Town
Great soup dumplings with some Bourdain mentality right here. Getting stuck in the city during the rain is swell too. The subways had to be inspected so we waited more. Chinatown to Little Italy. There were grout scouts everywhere for some reason. The souvenirs were a little overpriced here compared to midtown.

5. Wall St.
Occupy Wall St. There are plenty of interesting peeps here and dirty water hot dog heaven. So good. On the next adventure I plan to dress like Kim Jong-il to show these New Yorkers how tough it is to be a confused Korean.

4. Ginger Ale, the Drink of Choice
Ginger Ale is my favorite non-alcoholic beverage. There's just something about ginger ale on the plane that enhances the taste. I feel like a gentleman when I drink it. Sometimes it's best to just stare out the window with some ale on the rocks.

3. Bleeker St. Pizza
So Good. 

2. Subway. Ride Fresh
Taking the subway around town is what makes me want to live in NY. With the 24hr transit system it makes it really convenient to get from point A to B at anytime. I wish LA would get on this. It would be nice to save money on gas. Driving everywhere kills me a little inside.

1. Five Napkin Burger
To the only burger that has ever made me cry. Thank you. Cooked to a medium-rare perfection with classic ingredients plus,  mixed fries and a yuengling. You are good to go. I celebrated afterwards with a French Connection (my favorite mixed drink) and Corned Beef.

=
Best French Connection Ever

Best Corned Beef Ever

Here's the link to the full NY archives just in case: New York