Views:
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy 50th Dad

This entry is a bit late, but this is in memory of Ireno T. Barcelona Jr, my father. January 4th was his 50th Bday, it was also the day he died. It's pretty tragic to die on a day as special as your birthday. Growing up without a father figure forced me to grow up quicker than most people. More responsibility, more pressure, and more expectations.

"Don't disappoint the people who believe in you"

Those are the word I continue to follow to this day. My mom sacrificed a lot raising two children on her own. She had the burden of playing both parental roles. I hear lots of stories of how my mom's strict, goal-oriented, and humble personality perfectly complemented my dad's easy-going, workaholic, and wild personality. Throughout the years I heard many stories about my dad growing up. The type of person he was and how he brought families together like glue. After he died, most of the connections were lost and the families drifted further away.

I only have one memory of my father, which I can see vividly. The rest are just short vignettes on expired film that play through my mind. I've been going through his journals, read about his click and various adventures he encountered. He was a very accomplished man. Close to an unparalleled genius. 4 Degrees, Many oddjobs, and a trusting friend. I inherited many of his qualities without even knowing. A popular story I heard is that he shot photos on the side to help pay for his schooling. I also heard he was one of those badass teachers that lets you sleep in class. He was also into racing (I have his racing license), martial arts, post office work, fixing cars, travel agencies, various types of collecting (cards, stamps, cars), shoehead, + many more. A Jack of All Trades by the time he was 16.

My father, my inspiration, and my eternal rival. Just the stories told by everyone and your writings make me want to be a lot like you. The legacy continues with me. The last Barcelona heir.

The Christmas Aftermath
Photobucket


Jung Jung to most people
Photobucket


The Barcelona Family. Reunited. Grandma present too (on right)
Photobucket


RIP
Photobucket


When I was younger I would hide coins in the rocks around the St. Francis Statue
Photobucket


Next month again.
Photobucket