Views:
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hey Miss! Nice TETz

Yesterday was the start of Little Saigon's annual Tet Festival. Tet is the most popular and important holiday in the Vietnamese culture. It shares the same date vicinity with the Chinese New Year, which everyone is familiar. 2010 is the year of the Tiger. Usually the thing to do is go with your family and honor the dead while doing a variety of different things. The event was great and I met plenty of swell new people. "An khang thịnh vượng"


 Once again I signed up for press. It was weird. I never saw so much segregation between Canonites and Nikonians. The trash talking begun at the opening ceremony. I also found DSLR hypebeasts (newbies to photography that buy the greatest and most expensive gear to show off) trying to start shit with the pros that been shooting for many years. Pretty sad. Anyways I met a cool old guy that talked all about vietnamese porn and emphasized on Tia Tanaka and Teanna Kai. Funny times.


Before I left I finally got up to 12.5K in monopoly
Photobucket


Tet Offensive finds this offensive
Photobucket


Pots and nice things
Photobucket


Various modelling agencies scattered throughout the festival grounds
Photobucket


Dahomie
Photobucket





DragonWorks
Photobucket


Main Stages
Photobucket


I only think about: Pho, Lee's sandwiches, Tia Tanaka, Egg soda, spitting, Nam, Guerilla Warfare, Chuckie Akenz, LCV, Ho Chi Minh, Saigon, etc.
Photobucket


The pare
Photobucket


Don't do this to elders. Not cool
Photobucket


Yeo's = Greatest soymilk
Photobucket


Sienna
Photobucket


Soldier Boy
Photobucket


Tower
Photobucket


Fruits
Photobucket


Trip to vietnam
Photobucket


I think this guy is the King of vietnam
Photobucket


Carn Evil
Photobucket


Monkey
Photobucket


UFO ride is the most grandest thing ever. If you don't agree with me don't ever visit my blog again
Photobucket


Decorations
Photobucket


Sign
Photobucket


The band: No Vacancy
Photobucket


Awesome guy. Check out his 300mm f/2.8. He gave me a few tips
Photobucket


Empty
Photobucket


Yee. JBs
Photobucket


Common
Photobucket


"Shot through the heart!"
Photobucket


Keytar guy. Playing a zelda tune
Photobucket


On Vietnam TV
Photobucket


Yee. Awesome shorts
Photobucket


Was hoping for a lesbian scene
Photobucket


Flowin
Photobucket


New band: Fallout!
Photobucket


Blink 182 - All the Small Things.
Classic
Photobucket


"Sweet Child of Mine"
Photobucket


Dual vocals
Photobucket


Looks like one of my friends
Photobucket


Great Voice. She was singing in Vietnaglish. She said something like "Nick is awesome" I believe
Photobucket


Really liked the lighting
Photobucket


Epic
Photobucket


Explosions
Photobucket


I mainly came here because it was the day of Miss Vietnam of Southern California 2010. I know a couple of people here so I showed them some support. The girls looked beautiful. Here was the lineup on their site: http://www.tetpageant.com/2010/contestants.html

The announcers I guess are celebrities. They rolled up to the stage in style
Photobucket


Hosts
Photobucket


Who are these obscure females?
Photobucket


Ye
Photobucket


Photobucket


#7 Cecile. Nice
Photobucket


Mindy from UCR! I like the lighting
Photobucket


#11 is cute. She goes to OCC
Photobucket


Photobucket

Priscilla! UCR CNAS! Biomajor!
Photobucket


The Queen arrives
Photobucket


Women
Photobucket


Photobucket


Some girl said she was like the Vietnamese BoA
Photobucket


Viet Jokes. I didn't understand. I just laughed when everyone else laughed. I was the only Filipino in press so my name stuck out on the list. "Barcelona" out of the Nguyens and Trans
Photobucket


Photobucket


The walkway. Shooting was tough. It was my first kind of fashion type shoot. The lighting kept on changing so I had to keep playing with my white balance and metering with each different person. They were pretty fast. Some came out mad yellow. Usually fashion walks are done indoors with perfect lighting, but in this case it was a challenge, like life:

#1 - High schooler.
Photobucket


#2 - Had a class with her
Photobucket


#3 -....
Photobucket


#4 - Geeky
Photobucket


#5 - Really nice eyes
Photobucket


#6 - Hybrid
Photobucket


#7 - Nurse. Makes me wanna get sick
Photobucket


#8 - Looks mestizaish
Photobucket


#9 - Looks like an actor
Photobucket


Photobucket


#10 - No idea
Photobucket


#11 - cute
Photobucket


#12 - Had lots of fans
Photobucket


#13 - A teacher
Photobucket


#14 - cool forehead
Photobucket


#15 - a fellow writer/blogger
Photobucket


#16 - the short one
Photobucket


#17 - Thug
Photobucket


#18 - My favorite
Photobucket


#19 - ....
Photobucket


#20 - ....
Photobucket


My favorites are: 7,9,11,18

Media/Press got free Lee's Sandwiches. I ended up getting 2. I like the sardines one.
This guy declared everyone his Valentine. Mad Brave
Photobucket


UCR VSA teacher
Photobucket


The speeches. They were mostly Vietnaglish
Photobucket


Photobucket


The eyes
Photobucket


The Prevs
Photobucket


I got bored so decided to explore around and check out carnival foods
Photobucket


Wheels
Photobucket


Raito
Photobucket


Speaking spanish
Photobucket


Back in Nam
Photobucket


Uniforming
Photobucket


Tet Room
Photobucket


Philippines. 0.19
Photobucket


Bootlegs
Photobucket


I started feeling really sick. The smell was a bit overwhelming for me. I'm used to Philippine/Mexican family seafood marts smells, but image an enclosed are that smells like a vietnamese supermarket x 1000, Lee's sandwiches burps, opium, the chicken from chinatown that just died, Body odor of sweaty people, third world swamps, and John Lin's unopen fridge all put together. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I haven't acquired the ultimate smell receptors yet. I ended up puking in the parking lot.
Photobucket


Yet I went back again for some Vietnamese Tacos.
Photobucket


Remember to do these during the week if you wanna be cultural:

Do's
-One should give people lucky presents to enhance the relationship between themselves and others: new clothes, peach branches (for expelling evil), cocks (wishing for good manners), new rice (wishing for being well-fed), rice wine in a gourd (wishing for a rich and comfortable life), bánh chưng (or bánh tét) and bánh dày which symbolize sky and earth (for worshipping the ancestors), red things (red symbolizes happiness, luckiness, advantages) like watermelon, dogs (the bark – gâu gâu – sounds like the word giàu - richness in Vietnamese language), medicated oil (dầu in Vietnamese, also sounds similar to giàu).
-One should give lucky Dong Ho Paintings such as: "Gà đàn" (wishing for having many children), or "Vinh hoa", but should not give unlucky Dong Ho paintings like "Đánh ghen" related to legal proceedings.
-One should buy a lot of water for Tết, because people wish for money to flow like water currents in a stream (proverb: "Tiền vô như nước").
-One should sprinkle lime powder around the house to expel evil.
-One should return all things borrowed, and pay debts before Tết.
-Go gambling after you are done with the festivities.

Don'ts
-One shouldn't say or do bad things during Tết.
-One shouldn't hurt or kill animals or plants but should set them free. The reason for this originates from Buddhism's causality.
-One shouldn't sweep the house or empty out the rubbish to avoid luck and benefits going with it, especially on the first day of the new year. One shouldn't let the broom in confusion if people don't want it to be stolen.
-One shouldn't give these presents to others: clock or watch (the recipient's time is going to pass), cats (mèo in Vietnamese language pronounced like nghèo, poverty), medicine (the receiver will get ill), cuttle fish (its ink is black, an unlucky colour), writing ink (for the same reason), scissors or knives (they bring incompatibility).
-One shouldn't have duck meat because it brings unluckiness.
-One shouldn't have shrimp in case one would move backwards like shrimp, in other words, one would not succeed.
-One shouldn't buy or wear white clothes because white is the colour of funerals in Vietnam.
-One shouldn't let the rice-hulling mill go empty because it symbolizes failed crops.
-One shouldn't refuse anything others give or wish you during Tết.


I think it's fun and a great expence to partake in a culture other than your own. I learned a lot. I'm going international like Bourdain, but I'll attend conventions/festivals in SoCal...as opposed to the world. Maybe when I get richer I'll do an international galavant. But for now, I'll just learn before diving in full force.